Into the Theldesia : The Eight Neighbors in YAMATO (2)
From Table Talk Wiki
- 1 Wolf-Fang / Wolfhair
- 2 Elf
Wolf-Fang / Wolfhair
- Wolf-Fang race has the ability of wolf. Their wolf-ish ears and tail that appear according to the state of feelings will give your character a good individuality, and their power and swift-foot will give expression to their toughness.
Background setting before the Catastrophe
- In <Elder Tale>, Wolf-Fangs have the characteristics of Human and Wolf.
- They were created by magical ritual when Mankind was on the verge of ruin by Demi-humans (Goblin, Ogre, etc). The population of Wolf-Fangs is smaller than that of Humans, Elves and Dwarves. They often symbiotically live in Human city while forming their own small group.
- They have strong physique and abundant (and frizzy) hair, but overall impression is not so different from Humans. However, their appearance changes when they're in the state of tension like battles; wolf-ish ears and tail appear, and the color of eyes also changes.
- They are about 145cm-200cm tall, and weighed about 50kg-120kg. Colorings of their stiff hair are mostly black, grey, or red. Skin colors are mostly yellow-white, reddish-brown, or brown. Eyes have the characteristic color like gold or ruby-colored.
- Wolf-Fangs possess amazing vitality, physical endurance, and leg strength. When wolfish ears and tail are appearing, their power gets stronger. This means they have the makings of excellent warriors or mercenaries. As Adventurers, Wolf-Fangs are suited for Warrior classes and Weapon-based classes.
- Gallant race that have the power of wolf in the Human body. This is Wolf-Fang.
Wolf-Fangs of Yamato
- As an artificial race made for battle, almost all Wolf-Fangs were forced to fight against the Demi-Humans. However, thanks to Adventurers, most of them are living quiet lives nowadays.
- Being affected by a wolf's gregarious behaviour, their sense of fellowship is quite strong. Unlike the blood relationships of Human nobles, Wolf-Fangs put major emphasis on the bonds with family and comrade. They help their 'relatives' regardless of gain, even if there is no blood connection.
- One of the features of Wolf-Fang culture is a rigid hierarchical relationship by seniority. Positions like head of the family, unit commander, chief of the tribe have the great power, and are respected. Strong sense of responsibility and the awareness as leader are required for these positions; leaders try very hard to live up to expectations.
- Even in large cities, they tend to form their own small groups. In the countryside, there are some villages made up completely of Wolf-Fangs. However, they are not exclusive and can have relationships with other races without any problems.
- They have especially strong relationship with Humans; sometimes Human nobles appoint competent Wolf-Fangs to the responsible persons of military affairs. Some Wolf-Fangs could get promoted to nobles.
- Of course, only a few talented ones can be promoted like that. However, other Wolf-Fangs can still use their aptitude for nature and high physical ability to make a living as soldiers, mercenaries, hunters, lumberjacks, bodyguards, pathfinders, and so on. Also they are skillful at primary industry like farming, collecting or fishery.
- Since Wolf-Fangs can withstand in harsh environments, they sometimes form their villages in the precipitous mountains, the depths of dense forest, deserts, and other unexpected unexplored regions and frontiers. Resulting from their living environment, these villagers are high-leveled for Landers, and often have special knowledge and techniques that aren't generally known. You might be able to relate to their secret knowledge as an Adventurer.
- Under the reign of the <Westelande Imperial Dynasty>, many Wolf-Fangs were sent to Ezzo as the front line of a battle against the enemies of Mankind, including Giants.
- They fought fiercely in the northern lands, but there was a luck for them. Long-standing aristocratism had thrived in the areas under control of Imperial Dynasty, and Wolf-Fangs had been despised as the newcomer beastman. However, in Ezzo, they were less discriminated than in Imperial Dynasty. In a severe environment with the frigid weathers and countless enemies, one's race was a trivial matter.
- As a result, Wolf-fangs gathered in Ezzo as mercenaries or settlers and, thanks to their high endurance towards harsh environments, increased the number on this frozen land. When Ezzo became estranged from <Westelande Imperial Dynasty>, the activities of Wolf-Fangs had exerted a great influence. Even today, Wolf-Fangs maintain power in <Ezzo Empire> and call themselves the 'Northern Wolf-Fang'.
Sanctuary of Spirits: Trifang
- Trifang is a sanctuary and its temple town in the recesses of mountains of Chichibu. The gate of Trifang has dignified appearance, looking like three wolves' head. The name in 'Tri-Fang' originated from this gate.
- History of Trifang can be traced to the generation before the Second World Fraction. However, it once fell into a decline through the wars against the Demi-humans, and became desolate ruins. 200 years ago, a certain Wolf-Fang Kannagi visited here and restored as a sanctuary. Since then, Trifang is widely known as a mental support for Wolf-Fangs of Eastal.
- Trifang’s temple town is a small scale, but full of activity. It is not only a place of sojourn for pilgrims from various places of Eastal, but also a supply base of Wolf-Fang mercenary troops. Moreover, Adventurers often had been visited here for the quests, since before the Catastrophe. As such, it has a lot of facilities for Adventurers.
Thousand Fangs Mercenary Troops
- Wolf-Fang mercenary soldiers who are doing their activities mainly in Eastal. Even after the Catastrophe, they undertake jobs as merchant's bodyguards and Demi-human slayers in place of busy Adventurers.
- Antecedents of them are a group of former warriors that had nowhere to go after the appearance of Adventurers. Because Wolf-Fangs have a strong sense of fellowship, the bond between them is quite solid. They are one of the greatest Lander warriors, and the object of admiration of Wolf-Fang children of Eastal.
- <Thousand Fangs Mercenary Troops> is not so large-scale and systematic. A leader commands about ten group captain, and a captain commands his own several tens members. Each group usually acts separately, and they seldom get together.
- As long as they obey the most important 'Law of Fangs', every group has elastic discretionary powers. The course of action depends on the captain of group.
- "First Fang" Togariudo
- A Lander mercenary, and the leader of <Thousand Fangs Mercenary Troops>. Although Togariudo is not an Adventurer, his level is high and he has skillful combat power.
- His pet theory is "Whether you're Lander or Adventurer, once you fight and dine with me, you're my brethren". He is a big-hearted, nice fellow who has an attractive personality and can lead rowdy mercenaries.
- "In the <Thousand Fangs>, there's no difference between Landers and Adventurers. You are just a fang, as am I."
- "Let's see how strong your 'Fangs' are!"
- <Hodophilax> is an organization that mainly composed of Wolf-Fangs and in charge of the maintenance and the guard of main 8 road of Yamato.
- When Mankind's territories were disconnected by Demi-human's attacks, some gallant young Wolf-Fangs started patrolling the main roads that connect cities; this is the origin of <Hodophilax>. They ensure the security of the roads by their high combat skill and special talismanic magic. However, the source of funds, the scale as an organization, and many other actual situation of their activity are wrapped in mystery. According to one theory, they have a connection with Kunie clan.
- In common, all of <Hodophilax> members have a magic item, a thumb-sized crystal ball, to contact one another. This crystal also serves as the identification card; if they show it to proper facilities, these facilities will offer various services for them. Certain-sized cities along the main roads seem to have <Hodophilax>'s related facilities, but their existence is in secret to prevent abuse.
- Although they rarely come out in public and very few Adventurers know about them, the monsters around the main roads of Yamato are relatively weaker than that of surrounding areas, thanks to their activities. However, Demi-human's course of action got diversified after the Catastrophe, and it's becoming the difficult problem for <Hodophilax>. Under these conditions, some members are groping the possibility of cooperation with the Adventurers.
- Shenon "of the Piety"
- Shenon is a woman in male attire, and one of the leaders of <Hodophilax> in charge of the northwest region of Eastal. Despite she is young and it has not been long since she inherited the name of Shenon from her predecessor, she is deeply trusted by her subordinates.
- It's unusual for Wolf-Fangs, but Shenon is skillful at clever strategy and magic. In Wolf-Fang's male-oriented society that gives high esteem to brave warrior, it's very rare case that an intellectual woman like her has organized them.
- In the <Hodophilax>, Shenon is attempting to encourage cooperating with the Adventurers for countermeasures against the Demi-humans. She seemed to get in touch with <Round Table Conference> behind the scenes.
- "Golden age of lone wolf is gone by. Those old folks need to understand it."
- "Roads connect the people, carry many things, and spin the world. If your blood stops flowing in the veins, your limbs will necroses. We must prevent it."
Typical TRPG Tags for Wolf-Fang Landers
- Ezzo Empire, Trifang, Thousand Fangs Mercenary Troops, Hodophilax, Kunie clan, Northern Wolf-Fang, Pilgrim, Law of Fangs, Eight Wolves of Main Roads, Round Table Conference, Guard, Pirate, Hunter, Leathercraft maker, Warder, Woolen craftman, Gladiator, Bandit, Commander, Charcoal burner, Sea captain, Boatman, Elder, Tanned leather craftman, Carrier, Ranger, Stableman, Weapon merchant, Chivalry, Soldier, Mercenary, Fisherman
- Elf is a long-lived race that has a culture of their own, living with the nature in stoic manner. If you want to give a proud splendor to your character, Elf is very suitable for you.
Background setting before the Catastrophe
- In the <Elder Tale> world, Elves are mystic race that have been living with the nature. Their features are small build, pointed ears, nimble movement, and longevity. On the other hand, their long life brought low birth-rate; Elf has comparatively small population.
- Elves have their own aptitude for magic since they have a high affinity for magic power of nature. However, or rather, therefore, Elves had felt repulsion, jealousy, and a little bit of envy toward Alvs who systematized the magic in the dim and distant past and developed it as a technology.
- One of the special existences for Elves is Dark-Elves, the traitors who supported Alvs. Dark-Elves are the archenemy of Elves and the subject of subjugation.
- Length and shape of their pointed ears differs from person to person. Elves are shorter and thinner than Humans, so you can easily identify them; they are about 140cm-175cm tall, and weighed about 45kg-65kg. Most of them have a slender build. Colorings of their hair are mostly blonde and similar light color, and eyes are deep green or blue. They tend to be fair-skinned, and brown skin Elves are very seldom.
- Elves take advantage of their petite figure to nimble movement, and their mental power is well trained in the nature. Also, they are good for magic due to their high affinity toward the nature spirits. Elves are suited for Weapon-based classes and Healer classes.
- Mystic petite race that commune with the nature. This is Elf.
Elves of Yamato
- Elves are most severely affected by the wars against Alvs and Demi-humans. Due to low birth-rate, it takes time to recover their population. Elves still have smaller population than that of Humans and Dwarves.
- Unlike Dwarves and Wolf-Fangs, they tend to keep distance from Human's groups and big cities. For long-lived Elves, the persecution of Alvs is not the long past events. They are afraid of being persecuted like Alvs.
- On the other hand, they didn't choose to start Werecat-style wandering life. Mostly they build their own countries that other races don't exist. This feature is found only to Elves, except for Humans. As a result of the communal life of single race, Elves got the secretiveness and the tending to keep a distance from strangers.
- Elven clan society is mainly composed of the observances by dance and poetry. The unity of them gets stronger by respecting their common ancestors and placing importance on blood relative. Their dances and poetries are refined over a long period of time, and became the incorporeal treasures for Elves.
- Elves coexist with forests and lands in stead of developing these since they have an affinity for the spirits and nature. Therefore Elven cities often have the buildings that have utilized the unspoiled plants and watering places.
- Elves have a unique custom of not bathing in the hot water. Usually, they just wash their body with water, and sometimes take a sauna in areas where steam is abundant. Of course, they always keep themselves clean, elfishly.
- In contrast to their coexistence manner with the nature, Elven cultures have not been developed well except for arts and crafts. Undevelopment of architectural techniques and mechanical technologies is particularly notable. To Humans, this seems to look primitive (to put it nicely, simple and unaffected).
- Eisuo is a city that is ruled by Carfagna family, one of the nine great merchants of Ninetails Dominion. Carfagna family is known as Elven illustrious family with history, and the most of city residents are Elves as well. This city is said to be under the protection of a great bear spirit that lives in the volcano, Mount Eisuo.
- Exceptionally for Elves, the residents of Eisuo are enthusiastic to introduce the other race's cultures and technologies. Castle Silveria, a magnificent and impregnable castle that towering at center of the city, is the masterpiece of Dwarven and Half-Alven engineers.
- Specialty products of Eisuo are vegetables and medicinal herbs. Cultivation methods of some herbs were generally lost, and Carfagna family has kept the rights and interests by keeping the cultivation methods secret.
- Narrowmount Kingdom, the largest Elven country of Eastern Yamato, is located the northwest of Akiba. It takes few days from Akiba to Narrowmount by horse. The city is built into the scenic nature, including the forests of hilly area and beautiful Sphere Lake. It is a typical Elven country.
- As is often the case with Elves, they tend to put distance from Humans. Despite the <League of Freedom Cities Eastal> asked Narrowmount to attend the league again and again, this kingdom is still maintaining neutrality.
- It is their basic policy for avoid being caught in the needless conflicts. However, it doesn't mean that they are cowards or they lack the combat skills. Narrowmount Wood-Rangers with their magical-creature partners, like Unicorn or Pegasus, are well known for merciless attack against the invaders.
- Narrowmount Elves are said to be exclusive, but they value courage and honor; if other races or Adventurers behave bravely, they will call them <Di Strada> and respect those 'honourable strangers'.
- After the Catastrophe, Adventurer's 'tasty' food techniques merged with traditional Elven food, producing new specialties. Especially, a baked sweet, named Tengai-Yaki, uses local chestnuts abundantly and it is available only in Narrowmount.
Column: Lion Azur
- In Narrowmount Wood-Rangers, <Lion Azur> always have placed themselves in the dangerous front lines. This elite unit consists 100 rangers and private standby members, wearing azure-colored uniform and marching with the flag of a roaring lion. Their brave figure is renowned among the people; not only Elves but also Humans.
- Their most famous battle happened about 100 years ago, against the Giants that came from western mountains. Although many Human countries had endangered with destruction, most of Narrowmount Elves persisted in their belief of nonintervention. However, <Lion Azur> fought along with Humans and succeeded in beating back the Giants.
- The tradition is still alive; the leader of <Lion Azur> has the right to take independent action without waiting the command of the king. All members are skilled in archery and swordplay, and there are some groups of Magical-creature riders and Druids. They are the honourable blade saving the neutrality of this kingdom. The invaders will be frightened by their ghostlike furtive tactics that use <Deepwood Scout>.
- "Iron Lion" Ardeur
- The leader of <Lion Azur>, and one of the oldest wood-rangers. He experienced the war against the Giants 100 years ago as an apprentice-ranger, and since then, he spent most of his life in <Lion Azur>. It is said that his hand is always on a sword to provide against an attack of monster, even while he's sleeping.
- One day, He protected an injured Green Dragon in the forest and selected as his partner. Most people hate dragons as the evil beasts, but Ardeur and his dragon had defeated many enemies with a sword and fangs. So people can't help accepting his unusual partner.
- Ardeur is respected by young rangers as a living legend, but recently, he is worried over the death of much younger rangers than him. His erstwhile gallantry seems to be on the ebb. He is thinking of asking for help of Adventurers in the dangerous missions to minimize the damage, and trying to request it secretly since he can't openly ask the strangers for help.
- "Lion is destined to live in the forest, and die in the forest."
- "Great precursors, young greenhorns, everyone left me behind. It's a sad thing."
- If you go from Akiba to south along the shore by horse, it will take a few days to arrive Tricyrtis.
- Tricyrtis rules whole Tribeache Peninsula , and makes decisions as a country by regular consultations of Sea-Elf clan elders and Forest-Elf clan elders.
- Elves respect the coexistence with nature, so Tricyrtis has very small number of artificial fields and buildings. For Adventurers and other races, its territory looks like a stretch of forest and beach
- Resulting from this environment, many spirits and magical creatures live in Tricyrtis. Most of them are friendly, making contracts with Summoners and Druids. Before the Catastrophe, many Adventurers visited this country for these contract quests.
- This country has folklore about a tragic love of an ancient Elf and a great spirit. Folklore says an Elven maiden comforted the anger of raging spirit of sun as a human sacrifice, bringing mild climate and pure benefit from the sun. She consecrated a Tricyrtis flower to the sun spirit; this country is named after it. It is said that the mausoleum that the sun spirit has sealed is located somewhere in Tricyrtis.
- As is common with Elven countries, Tricyrtis is a bit exclusive. But Ymia, the elder of <Advancer> clan, is acting as a bridge between the Adventurers and other elders to form a friendly relationship.
- "Flower that never wither" Ymia
- As a young leader of <Advencer>, one of Sea-Elf clan, Ymia governs the northwestern region of Tricyrtis. She is respected by other elders since she has a rich knowledge about medicinal herbs.
- After a certain Adventurer chef visited this country and showed her how to cook by hand, Ymia got friendly to Adventurers. With this technique, she was revolutionized the cuisine of Tricyrtis and got great influence.
- Ymia’s territory is, so to speak, the entrance of Tricyrtis. She has engaged in negotiations with the visitors from outside, especially Adventurers. Contrary to her mild-mannered attitude and youthful appearance, she is a cool-headed judge of people; she'll immediately see through the evil one's thought.
- "We're about to consume the lives of other creatures. Eat tastier in better manner; that is the gratitude."
- "This is the land where the sun was born. So long as you don't cast a shadow over this country, we cordially welcome everyone."
Typical TRPG Tags for Elf Landers
- Eisuo, Carfagna family, Castle Silveria, Narrowmount Kingdom, Sphere Lake, Wood-Ranger, Di Strada, Lion Azur, Tricyrtis, Advencer, Prayer, Royal family, Painter, Musical instruments craftman, Lumberjack, Aristocrat, Minstrel, Herbalist, Harvester, Needleworker, Brewer, Papermaking craftman, Dyer, Cheesemaker, Animal trainer, Engraver, Gardener, Herdsman, Astrologist, Cotton textile craftman, Woodcrafter, Beekeeper, Rune Knight